To improve business values and efficiency, we need Business – IT alignment. For the business – IT alignment, IT needs to re define or re shape or re-invent.
Re defining IT is not a project, but it is a process which helps to transform real business to core values.
Business-IT alignment is a dynamic state in which a business organization is able to use information technology (IT) effectively to achieve business objectives – typically improved financial performance or marketplace competitiveness.
We are in digital business world, and Information technology is the catalyst which bounded with values that enabling business to achieve the success and market performance.Today’s business world, competition makes challenges and challenges make opportunities.For the success transformation, business needs to bring values on both financial and operational perspective. If business really needs to bring true values we need to align IT with business.
To reach the success and value added alignment, IT leader need to initiate alignment process, including the attitude change in IT and business.
To reach the success and value added alignment, IT leader need to initiate alignment process, including the attitude change in IT and business. Alignment process is critical to the successful deployment of IT within the business. IT Leaders must consider following phases on this alignment process: -
Understand the business => Alignment favors => Aligning people
Understand the business
- Identify all of your business process both formal and informal
- Acknowledge the culture – analyze the structure and nature of your organization , nature of systems and applications
- Awareness of future business – future context, what IT can bring etc.
Alignment flavors – (Strategic and Infrastructure alignment )
Alignment flavors is heart of this alignment and it must covers both Strategic alignment and infrastructure alignment
- Determine IT value imperatives
- Technology empowering business strategic decisions
- Match between organization capabilities and resources, the environmental opportunities and risks it faces and the goals it wishes to reach.
- “Can do “ versus what it “might do”
- Develop IT Vision in the organization and enhance the awareness of IT values to business leaders.
- Operational – to – strategic
- IT estate – identifies and document all IT assets, applications and delivery channels – exactly how many assets, technical attributes, life cycle etc.
- Prepare the IT contingency plans – reliability and security is the huge concern for business
- Establish partnership management – set up sourcing strategies with value driven vendors with correct and updated technology
- Clear IT process frameworks in organization – SLA’s, ITIL etc.
- Discover organization value chain – identify and document the relationships and touch points between the business and IT estate.
Proper and efficient people alignment is the critical factor in alignment process. IT Leaders proactively take leadership role in this execution process and must consider –
- Identify correct team members with proper set of skills & competence.
- Mold IT team with domain knowledge
- Identify right business managers, key stakeholders; also ensure proper involvement in this alignment process.
- Communication – Work in partnership with business for the successful alignment demands true partnership between IT and business
- In-house partnership with business units – Partnership are not just matter of involving in IT alignment, but also continue and dynamic synchronization of capabilities.
If IT leaders able transform organization into customer obsessed IT organization by proper IT alignment and integration, business feels the real values. IT heads no more just driving IT strategy , but driving the lead role of Business strategy and be business value enable.
Act now to synchronize information technology to business cultures and objectives and lead the business into different levels.
Author : Liven Varghese
IT Strategist | Technology Leader | Digital Enthusiast