Twitter is an online social networking and micro blogging service that enables users to send and read “tweets”, which are text messages limited to 140 characters. Registered users can read and post tweets, but unregistered users can only read them. Users access Twitter through the website interface, SMS, or mobile device app. Twitter is now one of the ten most visited websites, and has been described as “the SMS of the Internet – (Source: Wikipedia)
Twitter #1 and best micro blogging tool for branding. It is a powerful social media platform that can work incredibly for your personal branding.
Twitter helps to define a strategic way to amplify your personal brand to the digital world. Following twitter tips helps to boost your personal branding strategy.
1. Optimize your Twitter profile
Your twitter profile is snapshot of your personal brand, so make sure it has the following elements –
- Your avatar (profile pic) – If you are serious about personal branding, then you should have a professional photo of yourself.
- Username – suggest to incorporates your first and last name as username (example – @livenvarghese)
- Twitter Bio – You only have 160 characters to describe your story. Make sure you highlight your expertise with relevant and rich industry keywords.
- URLs – link to your personal website or blog or portfolio showcase
2. Integrate Twitter
We are using different tools to promote and build the brand, so make sure to twitter into it.
- Email signature – add a link to you email signature and every email you send can turn into a new follower.
- Personal website / blog – Add your twitter address or icon into website, also on blog each posts.
- Presentations – Add your Twitter account into presentation slide and highlight on your speech conclusion.
- Email newsletter – Put your twitter details into that and link that to your profile.
- Other social networks – Add your twitter links or icons into other social Medias and networks.
3. Engagement strategy
Twitter is a global viral form of blogging, so we should approach with a goal and strategy. People are interested in tweets that make positive impact or knowledge improvement in their life.
- Tweet frequency – define the frequency of tweets. Suggest tweeting 3- 4 times per day
- Tweet topics – choose the tweet which comes from your field of expertise, latest trends & articles, blog posts, personal tweets.
- Tweet sharing – share other people’s content relevant to your area of expertise or interest.
- Tweet scheduling – utilize 3rd party tool and streamline the process of tweeting.
- People engagement – join conversations and connect people together and thank people for retweets and mentions.
4. Power of #Hashtags
Use relevant #hashtags to target your message to larger audience. Perform hashtag research before using it including the frequency and effectiveness. From hashtags.org or Twubs, you can easily know the details. Use relevant hashtags on tweets which you see helps for personal branding.
Twitter is an incredible powerful personal branding tool. Explore it to build and promote your strong personal brand in online world.
Start active on Twitter .Be more active on twitter, the better.
To view more articles on personal branding, click here.
Liven Varghese – IT Strategist | Technology Leader | Digital Enthusiast